Google+

.

/

/

Find A Game

Translate

Saturday 13 September 2014

Why Destiny Review Scores Are Low

The Power Of A Great Story And Why Destiny Really Needed One

September 13th, 2014 By Dean Howard

Why-Destiny-Review-Scores-Are-Low-PS4-Games


.

I recently wrote an article talking about why most recent FPS games just seem to lack good scripted content despite the massive improvements on visuals and effects. It's not that I have anything against shooters but since Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, there's hardly been a first person shooter that has left a deep impression on me when it comes to the campaigns story.


Most if not all recent first person shooters seem to rehash the same formulaic script that usually involves America being under nuclear threat from foreign invaders - Russia or Korea.

I really wanted Destiny to be that title to change my opinion. It had so much promise, so much potential, it even has the voice of Peter Drinklage from Game of Thrones as your companion Ghost AI.

During the week long Beta which I have to admit was a lot of fun. I did forgive Bungie's cryptic story to not wanting to spoil the mystery or surprise but, having completed the game I have to say how un-imaginative the overall narrative experience has been. This is such a shame as apart from this, Destiny is a stunning looking game with solid if not at times repetitive gameplay.

I almost don't want to mention Destiny's similarities to Bungie's Halo series but those who have played it will no doubt see the striking resemblance. This comparison isn't a bad thing except Halo's story was phenomenal! It drew you in and made you feel part of its gripping plot. The very first Halo combined a solid script with fast paced action that quickly became Xbox 360's flagship title on Microsoft.

Why-Destiny-Review-Scores-Are-Low-PS4-GamesTo drive my point home of what makes a great story, I have to refer to Guardians Of The Galaxy by Marvel. Guardians of The Galaxy tells the tale of a young boy whom having just lost his mother to a fatal illness is suddenly kidnaped from Earth by space pirates. Even that description is enough to stir anyones interest right?

Maybe it was because I went to watch this movie with no expectations is why I found it to be so enjoyable. The movie had moments of action, suspense, drama and most importantly humor, all of which I think makes a great story.

There are games with phenomenal stories like Naughty Dog's The Last Of Us, or Quantic Dreams Heavy Rain so we know it can be done. I think most modern gamers are savvy enough to see through the allure of an empty shell and perhaps this was why review embargo's was set in place as Destiny went on to sell $500 million dollars worth of units.

Finally a games review is still just one persons opinion and should not affect your decision. If you are enjoying Destiny then that's all that really matters. I just believe a good story can inspire a generation for centuries to come, unfortunately for Destiny its greatest story is still yet to be told.

You can check out our full review of Destiny HERE and tell us what you think in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment